• Natural driftwood.
• Each piece is unique.
• It floats so needs soaking.
• It doesn’t give off tannins.
• It does not change the pH.
• It might create a bloom or biofilm/fungus.
Benefits of Driftwood:
• Not only does driftwood look great, it also stimulates and maintains the ecosystem within an aquarium. Much like the substrate and filter media in an aquarium, driftwood promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria. These bacteria are very important as they break down fish by-products into less toxic compounds, keeping your fish healthy. The added surface area of driftwood ensures that you’ll always have a healthy colony of these bacteria.
• Driftwood helps boost the immune systems of your fishes. When driftwood is submerged, natural Tannins will slowly leach into the aquarium water. These tannins create a slightly acidic environment that helps to keep viruses and disease causing bacterium at bay. The tannins released can also increase available oxygen in the water column, further stimulating your fishes’ immune systems.
• Capturing the natural behavior of your fish. Driftwood exists in almost every river or lake, so naturally your fish will be attracted to it. You’re fish will use it for hiding, breeding or even as food.
• If you’re a fish keeper that constantly battles alkaline tap water, the addition of driftwood can help buffer and maintain a lower pH in your aquarium. Many fish require slightly acidic water conditions, and driftwood is the perfect way to create this environment.
Before adding driftwood to your aquarium, it is best practice to pre-soak the wood in a bucket (or other container large enough for the wood) filled with warm, dechlorinated tap water for 24 to 48 hours.
It might create a bloom or biofilm/fungal growth but not always; this film is harmless; however, it is best to remove the film in order to prevent it from becoming unsightly. This can be done by removing the wood, wiping it down with an aquarium safe sponge, soaking the wood in untreated tap water for 24-48 hours, and then returning it to the aquarium.